Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Just call me Shooter McGavin...

Well, not exactly the Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore, but more like the sharp shooter in any major action packed kick arse awesome edge of your seat thriller shooting film starring a tough broad, you know the ones, "Enough", "Lara Croft", "Mr. and Mrs. Smith."  We actually met Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Ashley and Jason Smith, that is) at the iRange - that's what we shooters call the Indoor Range, the iRange. It's pretty elite.

The hubs has been wanting to take me to a shooting range for a while now.  First, he got me the pink mace keychain and then I took all those kickboxing classes and now this. He really wants me to be able to defend myself and threaten people with more than my massive calfs and killer stink eye. I mean, there are a ton of sexy, tough, take-no-prisoner chicks in the movies that make it look so glamorous and I don't even need a stunt double! So, I grabbed my brass knuckles and my ankle weights to make me feel tougher and off we went.

Well, it was not what I expected in there. It smelled like musty, aggressive wood and everyone looked like they wanted to hurt me. Maybe it was what I expected. It was a redneck palace. A criminal's oasis. I was a little afraid.  Then, I saw a young woman, a pregnant woman. Seven months, minimum. Holding a pistol waiting on her turn to shoot. Yikes. After I stopped staring we took some time to take a look at the guns and I was very intimidated.  We could only choose from semi-automatics to shoot, no revolvers available for rent in the iRange. Not that I knew the difference anyway.  Hey, I've had my fair share of shooting, but with a rifle not a handgun. So, we picked out my weapon from the case as if we were looking at fine jewelry and waited and waited for our turn. I suggested going next door to the bar several times but no one thought that was a good idea.

We were finally up (The Weavers!?! He shouted..aw). The rifle ranger - I don't know if that's his exact title - explained to me how to hold the gun, how to release the magazine and load the rounds, how to aim, how not to point the gun at someone when loaded, blah blah blah! I think I blacked out halfway through and pictured myself holding the gun and aiming it all sexy like Angelina. Finally, we go in the range and I am so excited that I'm afraid I'll forget everything he said while I wasn't listening. Jason hands me the gun, "Here you go." I take it, load it, get my footing and aim. BANG! bang bang bang! Ahhhhhh I loved it! We each shot 50 rounds each (that's bullets for you regular folks) and I hit the target every time! I am so proud of myself and JLO in "Enough" would be proud too. What an adrenaline rush! I can't say I'll go back when I'm pregnant, though.

Thanks to my super great husbandini for taking me and supporting me. He left with all his 2000 parts. He felt like he'd dodged the bullet, literally!

Here are a couple of photos thanks to Miss Ashley P. Smith!

                   

              



Sara Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment